Wanting to make a career in the outdoors?
Looking for work?
Are you looking for a job in the outdoors? You will find what you need here, with listings of outdoor jobs and volunteering opportunities available in Queensland, LINKS to Australian and international outdoor job opportunities and useful information relevant to gaining work in the outdoor industry.
Outdoors Queensland is proud to display jobs on offer by our Financial Members and gratefully acknowledges the more comprehensive job listing service provided by COOEEads, a long time supporter, and the best place to go when looking for a job in the outdoors!
Click to Submit Your Job Available Advertisement
Please include your logo and a closing date.
Note: Job applications with no closing date will be removed after 6 months
COOEEads – a job information and advertising service for people looking for work in the outdoors:
COOEEads’ is a weekly email listing jobs, consultancies, tenders, scholarships and grants in the fields of outdoor / environmental education, interpretive communication and park management in Australia (and New Zealand).
SUBSCRIBE to ‘COOEEads’ – the free weekly listing of all current vacancies
Ironbark Outdoor Education Centre
St Peters Lutheran College
Crows Nest, QLD
Full-time, Permanent positionDeliver memorable, life-changing experiences for our Year 9 Students Outdoor Pursuits | Farm Skills | Environmental Awareness | Community Living
Commencing January 2024, St Peters Lutheran College is seeking to appoint a Program Assistant to work within a dedicated team to deliver memorable, life-changing experiences for our students, at our Ironbark Outdoor Education Centre.
Located just outside the town of Crows Nest on Queensland’s Darling Downs, established in 1974 Ironbark is an 800 hectare Outdoor Education Centre and Working Farm operated by St Peters Lutheran College. At St Peters every Year 9 student undertakes this iconic 5 week immersive experience as part of their final year of Junior High. Ironbark seeks to challenge, grow and form St Peters young people through the 4 key elements of the program – outdoor education, farm skills, environmental awareness and community living. The Ironbark Program provides staff with the opportunity to make a transformative difference in the lives of young people.
The successful candidate will be part of delivering the student program and includes supervising and working with students in the Jobs program (farm duties and animal care) as well as pastoral activities, dorm supervision and celebratory milestones in the program.
Please contact Matthew Sullivan – Director of Ironbark on 07 4698 1171 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please submit your brief cover letter and curriculum vitae, demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the Position Description by clicking on the link below …
Applications close 10.00 AM Tuesday, 21 November 2023.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early as the College will shortlist upon application and reserves the right to close the role earlier than the above date, or extend the application period.
Applicants are expected to support the Christian Ethos of the College.
Outdoor Recreation Trail Development Champion
Blue Sky Trails
Outdoor Recreation Trail Development Champion
This weekend will you…?
- Jump out of bed and hop right onto your bike for a ride with friends.
- Enjoy your favourite hiking trail
- Sit inside all day watching Netflix.
If you answered 1 or 2, keep reading!
We have an opportunity to make your weeks just as inspiring as your weekends.
As a Trail Development Champion, you will be a key player in enhancing outdoor trail networks in Australia. You will be responsible for performing trail audits and delivering comprehensive training on trail construction and maintenance to organizations and volunteers. When not on the trails you will assist with research and feasibility studies for new projects. This role involves travel and occasional weekend work.
Blue Sky Trails is on a mission to build communities around our outdoor space and is looking for a like-minded outdoors enthusiast to deliver exceptional service to our clients.
Working predominantly with trail managers, government agencies, councils, clubs and corporate sponsors, Blue Sky Trails assist our clients with everything associated with trail planning, building and maintenance. With a focus on project management, governance, and capacity building, we bring significant experience and expertise to offer invaluable advice, technology, support, and training. This means that everyone gains the most from trails with greater accessibility across the country.
If you’re looking for a role full of variety and growth, this is it. Covering everything from auditing trails, delivering training about trails and supporting project delivery of new trails and governance, the potential is huge for the right person plus a great deal of fun on trails.
The role is a hybrid working arrangement – work from home, on the trails and office based in Brisbane Qld. Applicants outside of Brisbane are welcome to apply given the nature of the role and travel involved.
Trail Audits: Perform trail audits to evaluate safety, accessibility, and technical elements. Provide recommendations for improvements and ensure trails meet required standards.
Training Delivery: Develop and deliver training programs on trail construction, maintenance, and safety to organizations, volunteers, and community members. Empower others with the knowledge and skills needed for responsible trail stewardship. This may involve travel and weekend training sessions.
Feasibility Studies: Conduct feasibility studies for new trail projects, assessing environmental impacts, permits, and potential challenges. This may require occasional travel to project sites.
Trail Development: Work with the Director and client to assist in the planning and design and oversee the maintenance of existing and construction of new outdoor trails, including mountain bike trails and walking trails, in compliance with industry standards and environmental best practices.
Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, land managers, government agencies, and partners to align trail maintenance and governance efforts with organizational goals and community needs.
Documentation: Maintain accurate records, reports, and documentation related to trail development, audits, and training programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Recreation Management, or a related field will be highly regarded.
- Certifications or trained as an auditor, compliance manager or experience in quality assurance are a plus.
- Training experience or certification in the development and delivery of training modules.
- Project Management experience or certification is a plus
- Proven experience in outdoor trail maintenance, technical elements and standards and safety.
- Strong understanding of trail construction, environmental considerations would be an advantage.
- Proficiency with mapping and GIS software is an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in horticulture/environmental management.
- Operational knowledge of the work health and safety legislation and regulations and practical application of it in an operational environment.
- Proactive and driven to exceed clients expectations
- A self starter who gets the job done
- A believer in process and collaboration
- Easy going with a positive and solutions focused attitude
- Interested in unique technological solutions and how it can benefit businesses
- Comfortable working remote environments from time to time
- An Excellent communicator and presenter
- Happy to work independently
- Willing to travel to project sites as needed and work occasional weekends.
And just as importantly
- An outdoor enthusiast who loves nothing more than getting into nature every chance you get. (Bonus points apply if you already have your own mountain bike or you can tell us about your favourite hiking trail)
This opportunity is available either full-time or part-time for the right person, though flexibility in after-hours and weekend work will be needed.
A day in the life
- Organising Trail Audits – Job Safety and orientation, site access
- Conducting Trail Audits – using our own Trail Vision software walking or riding trails to identify the data points requested by the client
- Compiling Trail Audit Reports – desktop review and provide recommendations for clients
- Developing Training content for clients on trail maintenance and governance
- Delivering Training to organizations and volunteer groups
- Looking for opportunities to grow our business and support clients with additional services
- When not on the trails or training your skills will be utilized researching, documenting, and testing best trail practices, assisting with feasibility studies, site visits for projects.
About the company
Project managing over $11 million of trail development across Australia, our goal is to ensure the right trails are built in the right place for the right reason.
By providing teams with the systems to manage these trails, we empower land managers and clubs to sustain and grow communities around nature.
From a cultural perspective, the team is motivated, engaged and community minded. We are looking for someone who wants to be involved in every element of the business, from helping to deliver training to shaping the company culture. Unsurprisingly, we are firm believers in work – life balance and offer flexibility to ensure you’re able get out there and explore the world our business is so centered around.
If you’re ready to jump out of bed during the week as well as weekends, send us your application now!
Make sure you include in your cover letter the story of your greatest outdoor adventure and why you’re the perfect fit.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Opportunities for professional development and growth in a dynamic field.
- A passionate and collaborative work environment within a company dedicated to preserving our natural heritage.
- The chance to make a positive impact on the community and natural environment.
How to apply
An immediate start is on offer. Apply now via the Seek link https://www.seek.com.au/job/70998206?tracking=SHR-WEB-SharedJob-anz-1
Ensure your resume addresses the qualifications & examples of key responsibilities.
Only candidates with unrestricted rights to work in Australia may apply for this position.
Due to the high volume of applications and enquiries, we are only able to respond to shortlisted candidates.
Go to the Outdoor Jobs Wanted page for a list of people currently available for work
Looking for new staff?
Advertise with us – Submit Your Job Available Advert
Please include your logo and a closing date.